Monday, September 10, 2012

DIY: Painted Kitchen Rug

When we got married, we got a kitchen rug similar to this:


Ours was an Italian chef theme. It was kind of cheesy, but Bed, Bath & Beyond didn't really have a lot of options.

I came across this painted rug on Pinterest and thought our cheesy chef rug was the perfect candidate to try this project on.

Inspiration:

Mine:


As you can see, I hand wrote mine instead of tracing an actual font because our printer doesn't have ink (ever.). The only things I bought for this project was a paint brush to write 'yum' and a can of clear spray coat a month later. 

This was my process:
1. Painted two coats of regular white wall paint to cover the chef design.
2. Painted two or three coats of gray wall paint (I bought a can of Martha Stewart paint in the Oops section at Home Depot for $7! It's regularly almost $40!) 
3. Wrote 'yum' in pencil on the rug, which didn't really show up, so I just started painting. 
4. Painted over 'yum' probably 6 times to get it the darkness I wanted. 
5. Traced 'yum' with a black Sharpie to make it stand out more. 
6. After a month or so, I sprayed a few coats of clear spray paint on top just to protect it from spills. 

We've had the rug in our kitchen for at least four months now and I'm happy to say that it looks great! The pictures above were just taken a few days ago, so you can see that it's held up. If we spill something on it, it comes off easily with a wet wash cloth. It sits in front of the sink and we hand wash a lot of our dishes, so it gets stepped on several times a day. 

Sometimes I wish I would have traced an actual font onto the rug because it's clearly hand painted. But, you live and you learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment